When it comes to fitness, protein is a powerhouse nutrient, especially for women looking to build lean muscle mass. But are you fueling your workouts properly to reap the benefits?
The Recommended Protein Intake for Women
According to nutrition experts, the recommended daily intake of protein for women is around 0.8 grams per kilogram of body weight (or around 46 grams per day for a 140 pound woman). However, if you're active with strength training or HIIT workouts, your needs likely increase to 1.0-1.5 grams per kilogram of body weight.
For example, a 140 pound woman doing intense exercise would need between 63-95 grams of protein daily. Spreading that intake throughout the day with high protein snacks ensures your muscles get the amino acids they need to repair and grow. The FASTer Way to Fat Loss puts a high focus on protein for its clients because it helps build lean muscle and help bodies turn into pro fat burners.
Why Protein is Vital for Building Muscle
Protein provides the amino acids that are the building blocks for growing and maintaining muscle mass. When you strength train, you create small tears in your muscle fibers. Consuming protein helps repair these tears so your muscles recover stronger.
Without sufficient protein intake, your body will break down muscle for energy rather than using it to build lean mass. High protein snacks are key for supplying your muscles with amino acids right before and after workouts.
Best High Protein Snack Ideas
Here are nourishing and convenient high protein snack options perfect for women on the go:
- Greek yogurt with granola or fresh berries (choose a dairy-free yogurt)
- Protein smoothie with peanut butter
- Cottage cheese with tomatoes and avocado (choose lactose free)
- Nut butter toast with banana
- Hard boiled eggs
- Protein bars or shakes (check for lower sugar options)
- Edamame hummus with carrot sticks
- Turkey rolls ups with cheese
- Chickpea salad stuffed in a pita
Fuel your fitness journey with proper protein intake. Aim for 20-30 grams of protein per snack to support energy, muscle recovery and your overall health goals.
No Bake Cookie Dough Protein Bites
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 cup peanut butter or almond butter
- 1 scoop vanilla plant-based protein powder
- 1/3 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (dairy free)
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- Add the oats, nut butter, protein powder, sweetener, and chia seeds to a bowl. Stir until a dough forms.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Use a small cookie scoop or spoon to portion into bite sized balls.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and refrigerate for 30 mins.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
These tasty no bake bites make the perfect high protein snack at around 5g protein each. Dairy free, gluten free and easily portable, they provide a nutrient boost to power you through your day!